Today Sean shares his top 6 ways of helping preteens memorize scripture:
- In your services, use a song like those by Seeds Family Music or JumpStart3 as either a worship song, an intro video, and/or transition music.
- Write each word of a memory verse on balloons (one word per balloon). Have a student hold each balloon in the proper order and have everybody read the scripture. Then pop one of the balloons and have everybody say the scripture again, included the missing word. Continue to pop balloons and restate the verse until everybody is saying the verse without any balloons to help.
- Put together an entire month-long experience/series using a single verse that the students learn as part of the series.
- Introduce your students (and their parents) to a tool like Fighter Verses or the FV App.
- Involve the students in a scripture passage, in ways like those discussed here.
- Borrowing an idea from Chip Henderson’s 12 by 12 program, Sean has introduced a game where students move on a game board each time they memorize a scripture:
- Memorize Psalm 139:14 and receive a small prize of your choice from Treasure Box A.
- Memorize Isaiah 41:10 and receive a small prize of your choice from Treasure Box A.
- Memorize 1 Timothy 4:12 and a leader from Elevate will take you to Jamba Juice or Ice Cream.
- Memorize James 1:12-15 and receive a medium prize of your choice from Treasure Box B.
- Memorize Ephesians 6:13-17 and receive a medium prize of your choice from Treasure Box B
- Memorize Philippians 2:1-4 and a leader from Elevate will bring lunch from a place of your choice to your school.
- Memorize Psalm 1 or Psalm 8 and receive a large prize of your choice from Treasure Box C.
- Memorize Psalm 23 and receive a large prize of your choice from Treasure Box C.
- Memorize Psalm 100 and receive an activity of your choice from Golf Land (go-carts, lazer tag, or mini golf).
- Memorize 1 Corinthians 13 and receive an XL prize of your choice from Treasure Box D.
- Memorize Romans 12:1-10 and receive an XL prize of your choice from Treasure Box D.
- Memorize Romans 12 and receive an all-expense paid trip to Six Flags.
Have a question about preteen ministry or a unique preteen ministry idea that we can feature on our podcast? Send it to email@example.com. Looking for a great community of preteen leaders that you can plug into? Join us at http://fourfivesix.org/.